My review of the Death of Robin Hood
Intro: What's with Hollywood deconstructing iconic characters?
The Death of Robin Hood: This movie is centered on elderly Robin Hood, who is haunted by his past. One day, he meets an old friend who wants Robin Hood to help him reclaim what belongs to him. Robin Hood agrees to help, thinking this task would kill him. Instead, he wakes up injured on an island. So Robin has to decide to make the best of his second chance or waste it?
This movie is a Logan clone. The movie wants to be a character study of someone reflecting on their life, but the execution is off. One of the problems this movie has is that we don't know how Robin went from point A to point B. We are told things about Robin, but not enough to fill in the blanks. This could have been fixed with show, don't tell. The first half hour of this movie was brutal as far as how violent it is; after that, the rest of the movie is a slow burn. Everything that happened between then and the end feels pointless. I can't tell you if this movie is about revenge cycle, redemption, or legacy because the movie doesn't know. I wish the film would give the title a double meaning. Other issues I have with the film are that some scenes are too dark to see, head scratching moments, and one scene should have been cut out of the film.
This is not the Robin Hood we know and love. This guy is a sadistic bastard to a degree. A minor complaint I have with him is that I don't like that he wears white because of what that color represents. I wouldn't mind that if it was done for irony.
I like the look of the film and that it didn't bore me to sleep. I also appreciate the commentary this film has on myths, stories, and history. All in all, this movie tired and failed to do something new with Robin Hood.
Rating = Rental
No comments:
Post a Comment